Emergency Plumbing Tips for Pittsburgh Homeowners
Every Pittsburgh homeowner will experience a plumbing emergency sooner or later, making it essential to know what to do if a plumbing emergency occurs. Plumbing issues can lead to costly damages to your home and create a significant disruption in your daily life. Whether it is a leak, clog, or gas leak, proper household awareness can make a stressful situation slightly less stressful! To handle an emergency plumbing situation like a pro, continue reading for emergency plumbing tips.
- Locate the Main Shutoff Valve: Every time you relocate to a new home, make sure to locate the main shutoff valve. The main shutoff valve is generally found in the basement or near the utility area. The main shutoff valve supplies water to the entire house when the pipe is open. Once the main shutoff valve is turned clockwise, the whole house's water supply is turned off. For example, in a plumbing emergency involving an excessive amount of water, turn off the main shutoff valve to stop water flow to prevent more water damage from occurring.
- Water Heater Emergency: When your water heater is installed tankless or full tank, make sure the installer shows you how to turn off the water heater in preparation for a plumbing emergency. If you have a gas water heater, turn the switch to the "pilot" position. If your water heater is leaking or is extremely hot, be sure to call your local plumber.
- Locate Isolation Valves: The isolation valves will stop water flow to a specific location, supplying water to the rest of the home. The isolation valves are found at each fixture. During your next plumbing visit, ask your plumber to show you where the isolation valves are located in your home so that during a plumbing emergency, you are prepared.
- Temporary Solution: Quickly find duct tape or pipe seal tape to patch the small crack in the pipe to decrease the excess water flow. The duct tape is not fully waterproof; therefore, the pipe seal tape, if accessible, is the better option because it is resistant to extreme temperatures and more waterproof than duct tape. Also, place a bucket under the pipe to capture the water if the tape should fall off.
- Decrease Water Damage: If flooding occurred during your plumbing emergency, soak up the excess water as soon as possible to prevent more water damage from occurring. Large towels and mops work well to soak up large puddles of water quickly. You can place a bucket under an active leak to continually collect water; be sure to monitor the water level so you can empty the bucket to avoid overflow. Also, make sure air is circulating through the damp area to help dry the site faster. Try turning on fans and opening windows.
The above tips do not solve your emergency plumbing issues. However, they act as guidance during a stressful plumbing emergency. You can get the whole house involved! Educate the entire family on where the main shut off valve is located in case of a plumbing emergency. Have a residential plumbing company's phone number accessible or even add the plumbing company as a contact in your cell phone to relieve the stress of finding a reputable plumbing company in an emergency. You are now better equipped to handle an unplanned plumbing emergency; call a nearby 24-hour plumber for assistance!
What is Considered Plumbing Emergencies?
If the plumbing issues can wait, then it is not an emergency. Call your nearby plumbing company during regular business hours to avoid after hour rates if your plumbing issues can wait. Call your trusted local plumber as soon as possible to prevent health and safety hazards as well as to restore your daily home routine. The following are considered plumbing emergencies:
- High Flooding Risk: Any risk of flooding from a failed sump pump or main shutoff valve, sewer backup, and burst pipe are all plumbing emergencies. These plumbing issues risk significant home damages if not taken care of as soon as possible and can also lead to home safety concerns. Contact your local plumber day or night for help!
- Sewage Backup: If you can smell or see sewage in your home, you most likely have a backed-up sewer, creating a health hazard. Your daily life will also be disrupted because you will not be able to run water or use the bathrooms in your home. Call a plumber immediately.
- No Water: No access to water will also disrupt your daily home routine because you will not be able to use your home plumbing system's bathroom, wash machine, or kitchen appliances. Call your local plumbing company for assistance to resolve the issue quickly.
- Risk of Burst Pipe: A frozen pipe and or spigot can cause flooding or lead to limited water usage. When the pipe begins to thaw, a crack in the pipe can risk flooding causing water damages. If flooding occurs, quickly access your main shutoff valve and turn off your home's water supply and call a nearby plumber for assistance.
The above are considered plumbing emergencies. Once the plumbing issue is discovered, pick up the phone right away to schedule an emergency plumbing appointment. Our answering service at Restano Heating, Cooling & Plumbing will contact our plumbing team after hours so that we can provide relief to a stressful situation as soon as possible.
Emergency Plumbing Service Pittsburgh, Pa
Restano Heating, Cooling & Plumbing offers 24/7 emergency plumbing repairs to Pittsburgh, PA residents, and businesses. If you have a plumbing problem anywhere in your home or office, at any time, day or night, we are here to help! Our experienced registered plumbers are educated to handle any plumbing issue, including:
- Bathroom and kitchen drain clogs
- Broken/malfunctioning water heaters
- Burst or leaking pipes
- Burst washing machines hoses
- Emergency gas line service
- Overflowing toilets
- Sewer line blockages
Quick response is crucial to minimizing damage to your home, so it is critical to take advantage of the best 24/7 emergency plumbing services Allison Park, PA, offers to quickly and efficiently resolve the issue. Call (412) 793-3190 for fast, professional plumbing repairs throughout the Pittsburgh area.
The above are considered plumbing emergencies. Once the plumbing issue is discovered, pick up the phone right away to schedule an emergency plumbing appointment. Our plumbers at Restano Heating, Cooling & Plumbing, our answering service, will contact our plumbing team after hours so that we can provide relief to a stressful situation as soon as possible.