I smell gas in my home, where is it coming from?
Gas leaks are a common issue faced by many homeowners. At Restano Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing, we offer expert gas leak repair services to the Pittsburgh area to ensure your home is safe for use. We’ve put together a few tips on what to do if you suspect a gas leak and ways that you can take to keep your family safe.
What can cause a gas leak?
When it comes to gas leaks, it is crucial that you immediately evacuate your home and call 911 if you smell gas but have not left any stove burners on. Once you’ve contacted 911, you should also call your gas service provider.
A gas leak can also come from a stove burner that has been left on by accident. If the smell of gas is present and you see that a stove burner has been left on, be sure to:
- Turn the burner off
- Put out any flames
- Turn on the range hood fan on to the highest setting
- Open all windows and doors to air out the home
- If possible, get yourself, your pets, and family members out of the house
Avoid lighting candles, cigarettes or igniting any type of flame in the house and also avoid turning on light switches, appliances, and your car if it is located in a garage attached to your home or is parked close to the home.
Gas Appliance Safety Tips
There are a variety of things you can do to make your home safer, including:
- Install carbon monoxide detectors near your gas, propane, and oil appliances.
- Keep fire extinguishers in your kitchen and furnace rooms. Be sure to check the extinguishers every year to ensure they are still pressurized.
- Keep your utility’s emergency number displayed on your fridge and save it on your cellphone.
- Keep paper, wood products, or any other combustible materials away from your gas, oil, or propane appliances.
- Store paints and solvents outside of the home, in a place such as a shed, if possible.
Professional Gas Leak Repair Services in Pittsburgh
At Restano Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing, we offer a variety of high-quality, expert HVAC services to the Pittsburgh area. If you are experiencing a gas leak or another HVAC emergency, call Restano Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing immediately to have the issue resolved.